Thursday, February 27, 2014

A new exciting opportunity

Some exciting news that I've been holding out from you... 

As of this week I am officially an accredited la leche league leader!! I have been working on this for over a year now and I am so excited, although my town doesn't have a group so I have a very long road ahead of me in getting this started up!  

As you may remember I had an interesting start to my breastfeeding journey with Colin's tongue tie.  I almost quit about 2 weeks in. I didn't have the family support I needed because I am the first one in a few generations to breastfeed. But I had the support of my friends and leaned heavily on the other mothers I knew. It wasn't a doctor or a nurse but a fellow mother and friend (thank for everything dawn) who discovered my sons tongue tie.  We got it clipped when he was 5 weeks old and haven't looked back!   That is when I discovered the importance of mother to mother support. 

When we were moving I knew I wanted to join a breastfeeding support group in our new much bigger town. I looked up La Leche League (LLL) and was shocked that they didn't have one there.... So I looked into how to start one up. A big jump, I will admit. I ordered their book and fell in love with it and everything they stand for. It was me. It was how I parent. Everything I thought I had been doing wrong... In their eyes was, right! It was refreshing and empowering! 

I knew I wanted to help other mothers like those that have helped me and that is why I am doing this. If I can help one mother continue like other mothers helped and encouraged me then it is all worthwhile. 
 

No comments: