Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Colin's 18 month apt and breastfeeding past 1

Overall Colin had a good doctor apt today. He didn't gain any weight from his last visit, but he did grow an inch so at least he is still growing!

He was 21 lbs and 31 1/2 inches. He is in the 10th percentile, my tiny boy. He screamed anytime the nurse or doctor came near him and wouldn't even sit on the scale! I had to hold him and get weighed and then let the nurse hold him while he screamed and then I got weighed individually! Lol aye! Stranger danger at its finest.

Anyway she said he is growing well and was a healthy boy. However I am thinking we may need a new doctor. She is not very up on the most recent breastfeeding information. She was very concerned with how many times a day we nurse and asked me several times. To which i kept responding, it depends upon the day. She said I needed to cut back and only nurse him twice a day and was worried when I said he also got some whole milk saying that with breast milk that may be too much calcium.... So I should cut back breastfeeding. If anything it should be the other way around.

Let me give you some info from KellyMom (aka the breastfeeding bible online) :

"There is not any particular “recommended number of times per day” that a toddler should be nursing. Some are only nursing once or twice a day, while others continue to enjoy lots of time at their mother’s breast. As baby slowly moves into eating more solids, your milk will fill any nutritional gaps nicely.

Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow’s milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get – mother’s milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow’s milk (needed for baby’s brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow’s milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother’s milk that are not present in cow’s milk).

There is no need to add cow’s milk to your toddler’s diet (or the equivalent nutrients from other milks or foods) as long as your baby is nursing at least 3-4 times per day. Cow’s milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. – it’s not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need."


Anyway, when she was telling me I needed to cut back I just held my tongue and in my head said, no way lady! Lol Now that I know some more people here I will see if anyone can recommend a pro breastfeeding doctor... One that knows breast is best even after 1.

I have to say nursing past 1 has its moments. I wish more people were aware of its benefits it is hard to feel like people don't support you. Luckily I have a small group of people who I know support me in this, but even my family thinks I'm crazy! Lol as long as I know I'm doing the best i can for my family and what feels right I'm going to stick with it and try my darnedest to ignore all the haters!

Also, I'd like to add that I nurse because I love it and so does Colin and it still works for us. That in itself is enough reason to continue, in my opinion.

5 comments:

Marcie Chavez said...

I have a totally different perspective on extended breastfeeding. I feel as a mom who chose to wean at one year old, I get the same "haters" who judge me as a mean mom or someone who was uniformed as to the "benefits" of extended breastfeeding.

My reasons for weaning had nothing to do with the nutritional aspect. The studies cited are kinda bunk and many only apply to developing countries where steady food supply and adequate nutrition are nonexistent. You should read this link: http://scienceofmom.com/2011/10/27/breastfeeding-beyond-a-year-why-is-the-aafp-stretching-the-truth-about-the-benefits/. Of course breastmilk is not bad for toddlers and has good nutrients, but many of the benefits are exaggerated in my opinion.

I just personally felt that it was an appropriate time to start setting the parental boundaries for my kids (just like setting boundaries as to where the child sleeps, if they get a bottle, if they are allowed to hit/pinch/bite, if you give them what they want when they throw a fit, etc.)

I had seen many moms who were not nursing because they enjoyed it, but would say that they had not weaned because it was "too hard" and their child would resist and throw tantrums, but that they themselves did not really enjoy nursing anymore. That to me is "giving in" to the child because it's easier than dealing with the resistance that comes with not giving a kid what they want. Ultimately, if I gave My kids everything they wanted, they would be staying up until 11 pm every night and eating candy and juice around the clock.

Even though I am not nursing Nattie, we still enjoy just as much physical contact and cuddling. I still nurture her just as much. She still gets that same benefit from me despite not nursing (and maybe even more cuddles, because I am not stressing out about feeding in public, etc.). I don't use nursing as a tool to get her to sleep anymore. I am glad that Nattie can put herself down for a nap or to bed without me helping her get there. So to me, there are some benefits of not nursing too!

I think ultimately it is a personal choice and every mom should nurse as long as they want. I do not judge extended breast feeders, but I know it was not something for me and this is why. Just my two cents!

Jaclyn said...

I am a firm believer that any breastmilk is better than none. And to nurse up to a year is absolutely outstanding! Nursing isn't easy by any means, between working, pumping, busy schedules and lets not even start on the sleep deprivation! Lol it is a choice we make for our children, but some crazies, like me end up falling in love with nursing and never want it to end. Lol

I just wish there was more support for extended nursing. Marcie, send your haters my way because my support feels far and few between! I get asked on a daily basis when we are going to wean. And to hear it from the doctor yesterday just tipped me over the edge. I wasn't Impressed with vitale our old doctor, but at least she told me to keep nursing as long as we both felt comfortable. I don't think it is the drs prerogative to tell me how often I need to nurse. I think it is, like you said a personal choice and nothing more.

I am sure the health benefits aren't as great as when they are infants, but I just figure it can't hurt anything to keep going! For now.

Rachel L. said...

Marcie Chavez, good for you for nursing for 12 months! That's wonderful! When someone says how bad it feels to be unsupported, though, why give commentary that is further unsupportive? The link you provided isn't scientific or research-based. There are mountains of research that support breastfeeding beyond a year. Here are some links to get you started if you want information. http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/ http://kellymom.com/ages/after12mo/ebf-refs/
I believe that breastfeeding is best, but mothers should support one another even when their practices are different. I think it's unfair to compare breastfeeding to candy, juice, late bedtimes, and bad behavior. All of us mothers with passionate opinions are just trying to be the very best we can be, aren't we? Best wishes to you!

Marcie Chavez said...

Jackie, I definitely agree that you should nurse as long as both of you feel comfortable (I wasn't trying to be unsupportive of that!). If you are both happy and satisfied, then why not? I just know so many moms that I hang out with complained about extended breastfeeding...so that raised the question, why do it if you are complaining! LOL. I will tell you sometime about the "haters" to whom I am referring too...LOL. It's interesting that no matter what we do as moms, we are always feeling judged by those doing it differently. I guess it's just a good example that we all need to relax and do what's good for us and not really worry about what others are thinking.

Christene @ MommaBird said...

Good for you on wanting to keep breastfeeding Colin past a year. I have several friends who are still breastfeeding their 2yr+ toddler and I see no problem with that at all.

I do agree that these days most doctors/MDs aren't that knowledgable with breastfeeding and are a bit old fashioned. MIne said that my 12 week old should be sleeping 8hr stretches at night, Ha!

Do what you feel is best for you and Colin. If other outside influences weren't in the way (such as a daytime office job & pumping) I would have breastfed longer.