Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Night 2 of CIO

Well last night went fairly well.

Colin slept 6 hours straight in his crib... for the first time in MONTHS!  The last time I can remember he's slept that long was when we went to South Carolina and he slept 7 hours in the hotel there. He was almost 6 months old... soo it's been at least 3 months!

Honestly, I think it was a fluke. He was super tired from the night before, only got one nap in yesterday and we stayed out late working/hiking. I think it was a fluke because when he woke up, at 3... he did NOT go back to sleep easy.  2 hours later at 5:15 I finally got him to sleep.  I actually *thought* we were going to have an easy night because when he woke up, I nursed him and then put him back in the crib. He seemed like he was going to go right back to bed. BUT after I was over my awe of how long he slept and how I could get up once a night to feed him no problem, then he started crying. Sigh. I feel like I went in and out of his room a million times... but it was probably more like 5 or 10. He had the most pitiful cry... and it sounded like he was saying "I want my momma"... for 2 hours!  You better believe I almost cracked!

He would be fine as long as we were standing next to the crib. He'd start to dose off and then creepily open his eyes to make sure we were still there. I guess I need a life size cutout of me to just stand next to his crib. The second I'd walk away and he'd notice we weren't there... he'd freak. Poor kid.

Once I got him back to sleep, he was OUT. He slept until I had to wake him up to go to the sitters. I turned the light on in his room and even then he just rolled over  and tried to go back to sleep. I think he's going to be tired today. :( I felt bad waking him up.

I've decided this is so hard on me because before now I've catered to his ever little whim. Any time he'd cry a tad, I'd run and scoop him up. I never really let him cry. I just thought that in time and with love and comfort he'd eventually learn how to sleep on his own. I hate that I have to do it this way, because I just don't enjoy hearing him cry. I hate knowing that all it would take for him to calm down and go to sleep would be for me to hold him and snuggle with him in bed. But the truth is, I miss him in bed. I miss snuggling with him. Waking up and watching him sleep. Having him hold onto me while he slept. I didn't expect to stop co sleeping so soon. I feel like I wasn't ready and wish I would have given myself just another day to hold onto him tighter at night and appreciate his closeness... because it is like... I can't go back. It is over... and I miss it. He is growing up and won't need me any more. Sigh. Lol

That being said, I am excited to see if last night was really a fluke. Having 6 hours of sleep... STRAIGHT... is miraculous. Unfortunately... I was up every couple hours checking on him.   But if he made that a habit, maybe eventually I would too. 

Wish us luck again!

No comments: