Saturday, April 14, 2012

Avocados and Dirt....


I know there is a lot of controversy about when to start babies on solid food.  Some say 4 months others say it is definitely best to wait until 6 months.  There is a lot of evidence that shows it is best wait as close to 6 months as possible and I was definitely on that bandwagon…. BUT I’ve been watching Colin’s cues and I just felt like he was ready.  I was trying to wait as close to 6 months as possible, but as someone brought up to me, it isn’t like at 6 months something  just snaps and they are magically ready,I am following his leads and in my opinion (and mommy knows best ;) Ha! ) Colin is ready. 

He has been watching us eat very intently, grabbing at our food and pretending to chew when he sees us eating for a couple weeks now. Wednesday I was holding him while I was eating a banana and he pounced at the banana and tried to shove it in his mouth. I gave him a tiny itty bitty piece of the banana and he attacked my finger like a rabid dog!  I gave him 2 more tiny pieces and he gobbled them up and wanted more! I put the banana like 2 feet away so he would forget about it and he just stared at it for like 5 minutes! Lol  That is when I knew he was ready!!

Tonight was the night. I did some research at work today and came home and pureed half an avocado with some breast milk so it was extra soft and smooth.  Here it is, isn't it pretty?


We don’t have a high chair (although I think I’ll be ordering one!) so I used the Bumbo chair.

 He was grabbing for the spoon before I could even get it anywhere near his mouth! He definitely ate some avocado, but I have no idea how much and it didn’t seem like a lot. They said their tummies are the size of their fists, so they aren’t very big and to start off with and I read that a teaspoon or so is probably best to begin with. I pretty much fed him until he seemed disinterested. .. which wasn’t very long, but he loved eating it! 



And .the dirt part..
 I was taking video and pictures and before I knew it Colin had reached behind him and grabbed a handful of potting soil from one of my plants and shoved it in his mouth…  After I had a heart attack and rushed to the sink to rinse out his mouth (don’t worry I think he spit most of it out because he figured out it didn’t taste very good! Lol) I had to laugh when I realized his first solid foods where avocado and dirt…  oh what a boy I have! Ha!

We are definitely going to be taking it slow when it comes to food, especially since we started a bit early. I wrote this yesterday but my computer was broken until today. :) We tried avocado again tonight and he wasn't interested, so I didn't push it and just put it away. I am also pretty concerned about food allergies because it is pretty prevalent in our families and he already has eczema. I've done a lot of research to avoid food allergies and that is another reason why we will be taking feeding him solids very slowly!  Oh and I was  hoping that solids would help him sleep better... apparently that is a myth, he slept terrible last night! Lol
`





No comments: