Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sleep or lack there of...

Man I am tired.  Colin was doing very good at sleeping for a couple weeks. Sleeping maybe 4 or 5 hour stretches and getting up only about once or twice during the night. I don't know what changed, but for 2 weeks now he's been getting up every 2 or 3 hours, sometimes less and it stinks! I am so tired, I feel like a walking zombie. Night before last he was waking up sometimes every 45 minutes, so I knew he wasn't hungry. So I thought maybe I would try to skip nursing and just rock him back to sleep.

Last night after only being in his crib for like 2 hours he woke up crying. So instead of feeding him because that is usually what I do, nurse and then back to bed, I decided I would just rock him. He fell back asleep within seconds after I rocked him. BUT when  I tried to put him in his crib... no bueno. He screamed the second I put him down. I did this 2 or 3 times and then finally gave up. It was like 11 and I was exhausted already so I brought him back to our bed. The SECOND I layed him down in our bed... he was OUT! I was so mad! Lol. I contemplated going and sleeping in a spare bedroom, but I crawled in next to him. Little booger slept 3 or 4 hours, almost kicked me off the bed in the meantime and I didn't get hardly any sleep.

I honestly was really hoping that solids was going to help him sleep a bit longer, but no. Although I am not sure he is really getting a whole lot of food still, he is still learning how to eat and hasn't quite mastered that yet.

I try not to complain about it too much, because I always get people saying, 'Well have you thought about giving him formula before bed instead of nursing him.'  And my answer is always no.  I hate how everyone always assumes that breast feeding is the problem. I know lots of breastfed babies who are sleeping long stretches and Colin is capable of doing the same because he was a couple weeks ago. I don't know what the answer is. I was hoping maybe he was teething and those darn teeth would come in and he would go back to sleeping... ha!   But I really feel like there are days when I may not ever get sleep again.  I know they tell you when you are pregnant something about that whole not getting any sleep thing... but I guess I thought by 5 months my kid would be sleeping a bit better! Lol

Ok that is my rant for the day. I did notice that when I'm not getting as much sleep I don't blog as much... so I apologize!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

You are correct.... Formula is not the answer. And it didn't work for Mateo. All babies are different. Diego was breastfed and slept thru the night at 5 weeks old. The other two..... Not so much. And the solids might be upsetting hid tummy or just throwing off his system. You will sleep again, but then you'll have another baby and the vicious cycle starts all over.

Abby Reed said...

Maybe he wasn't ready for solid foods yet? And it's making his tummy hurt a bit? Maybe try holding off a day or two and see if that makes a difference? Just a thought.....