Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Swaddle predicament

Well, since we started our bedtime routine, life has been pretty uneventful at bedtime. Colin gets bathed, lathered in lotion, changed into jammies, read a story and then nurses, swaddled, nurses some more and by then is totally passed out. We put him in his crib and for his first stretch of sleep and he was sleeping anywhere from 4-6 hours in his crib. It was glorious.

Then I got sick. My supply tanked and he started waking up every 2 hours again. Yuck. I got better and my supply returned to normal... but sleep has not. :(

It all started when my supply dropped, but that was also when Colin turned into a rolling machine. You can't lay him down without him rolling over within the first minute. It is like he thinks that because he now knows how to roll, he must do it, always. Well, he then figured out he can roll in his swaddle. One catch of him upside down in the middle of night in his swaddle, giving me a heart attack... was enough to want to ditch the swaddle. The problem is... the swaddle is a magical thing. It keeps those wild uncontrollable baby arms from flailing about and waking him up. Without the swaddle is chaos.

I cannot tell you how many times I got punched in the face last night. Lol Kid has a mean right hook.

We've tried putting him in the crib, unswaddled and half asleep and what does he do... he rolls. Then he wakes up and then he gets pissed because he has rolled onto his belly and forgot that he knows how to roll back. Then he screams. Then chalk up another 15-30 minutes trying to get him back to sleep.  So we've reverted back to cosleeping all night. Also without his arms swaddled it is like he can't sleep as soundly. They are soo jumpy that they wake him up.

Monday night it wasn't half bad, it was the night after his shots and dr. apt. and he slept 5 hours and then 4 hours, only waking once. Score!  Last night... not so much. He was VERY restless and there arms and limbs flailing about ALL NIGHT LONG. I soo missed the swaddle.

I wish I could just talk to him and tell him, hey buddy just because you know how to roll doesn't mean you HAVE to do it every time you are on your back. Just stay on your back so you can fall asleep and sleep for a very looong time so mommy can get some rest too. Oh well.. maybe I will sleep again in a couple years when I can actually have this conversation with him.

No comments: