Monday, January 16, 2012

New bedtime

Well things at night time had been going really smoothly until about a week ago. I was having no problems putting Colin to bed. He just fell right to sleep and then slept just fine until morning. I dunno what snapped last week, but something did and our normal routine wasn't working anymore. He was originally falling asleep somewhere between 10 and 11. I had tried putting him to bed around 9ish several times, but he'd still fall asleep closer to 11.

With all the problems we had last week I decided we needed to change things up. Especially since I go back to work in 2 weeks... we can't be staying up til 12 or 1 in the morning trying to go to sleep. So my first thought is that we just need to start trying to go to bed earlier. Even if it takes 2 hours if we start at 8 or 8:30 at least I will be in bed at a reasonable time to get enough sleep for work... because once he goes to sleep he is out for the night (granted he gets up a couple times for feeding, but he never fully wakes up... he eats with his eyes closed and goes right back to sleep :) ).

So last night was night 1 of operation new bed time/routine. I was going to start around 8 with a bath, then pajamas, a book and then bed. BUT Colin had other plans and threw up all over his outfit at 7. So bedtime routine started early. He had a bath at 7, then pajamas, then he had tummy time and floor time for a bit. Then I read him a book, nursed one side, changed and swaddled him, nursed the other side and he was OUT. I checked the clock... 8:35.  I couldn't believe it. No fighting, no struggling. He was out. Of course I had a hard time falling asleep because it was only 8:30.... but he was out for over 4 hours  that first nights stretch and I was a happy momma! :)  Here's to hoping the rest of our nights of operation new bed time/routine go like this!! Lol. Ha!

1 comment:

Abby Reed said...

oh man, I would have no problem going to sleep at 8:30! I went to sleep at 7 last night!!! I am always tired.... always.