Tuesday, December 17, 2013

2013 in review

2013 was a pretty crazy year for us.  When the year started we were living in Grants, NM and we were both working full time. 

By the end of January we were packing up and moving to Farmington, NM. I was in a debate of whether or not I wanted to continue working or stay home and ultimately decided I would have the least amount of regrets if I stayed home. 

Ryan started working for BHP and Navajo mine the first week of February as a Maintenance Field Superintendent. It has been a good challenge for him here with more equipment to manage but he is enjoying it! 

Our biggest hurdle moving here was having the house we were supposed to move into fall through on the day of closing (with all of our things in a moving truck and no clothes or place to go). 5 weeks in a hotel seems like just a small hurdle now that we are in our new home that we love more than the first. Everything happens for a reason!

I've throroughly enjoyed staying home with Colin. Life is much less stressful. I can be a full time mommy and wife! My house is cleaner, we eat almost every meal at home and we eat so much healthier. Staying home has taught me to appreciate the simple things in life more and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

I am also still technically working too! I started freelance writing for the newspaper in our old town and then this fall the newspaper here asked me to write for them too! At first I was only doing a story a month for each but it has turned into a story about every other week for the newspaper here. It has been a fun way to get to know both my community and the people in it while still being able to stay home with Colin!

Speaking of Colin! He has had an exciting year as well! He basically learned to talk this year and is constantly jabbering and went from unsteadily walking to running and jumping. He makes us laugh everyday and keeps me on my toes! It is so amazing watching him learn and grow and discover the world around him. So far two hasn't been all that terrible (knock on wood!!!) He loves anything with wheels especially trucks and trains and is very mechanical just like his daddy. 

Living in the four corners and so close to Colorado has been awesome! Our town has 3 rivers running through it and two lakes less than an hours drive! Durango Colorado is less than an hour from us. We have had a blast exploring and Ryan got to buy a boat... Something he has wanted for many years! (But I wouldn't give in because we didn't live near water!)  We bought it this fall and only took it out twice but we are already anticipating many more trips out on the water next year! 

Of course life isn't always rainbows and butterflies. We've had our ups and downs. Perhaps our biggest struggle this year has been the fact that we've been unable to sell our house in our old town. Hoping the new year brings us some better luck in that department because we are pretty tired of paying two mortgages! 

2013 has been a year of change, but in a good way. We've done a lot of exploring in our new environment and learning our new town and redefining who we are. We became closer as a family when we moved. Along the way we've had many family visits and good memories that I wouldn't trade for the world!  But I'm excited to see what 2014 has to offer us!!

No comments: