Thursday, December 19, 2013

My brother in law is a genius

My brother in law is one of those people that always makes me feel better about life. He is awesome. I'm not sure he knows it but things he says sometimes are so powerful that they stick with me. (Scary)

He was staying with us over thanksgiving and we had a long talk about health and fitness. He has recently made an incredible life change and looks amazing. He picked up crossfit and changed his diet and has never looked better. 

I am in no way a fitness expert and it is in no way my hobby. But I exercise to look and feel better. Since I've become a stay at home mom I've really tried to step up my health as fitness. I can honestly say I eat more healthy now than I ever have. Exercise is still a challenge for me. When it is warm out I was running a lot but I have asthma and my lungs don't work well when it is cold. I was going to Zumba a few times a week but then Ryan's schedule got crazy and I haven't gone in 2 weeks :(. So I did a burpee challenge in November and try to do what I can at home. Regardless it is always a struggle. I focus on the scale a lot even though I know I shouldn't. I get depressed when I've had a really good week of exercise and eating and step on the scale to see I've gained weight and then I will go eat some crap because I figure what does it matter! 

My brother in law and I talked all about this and  this was his conclusion: He said I'm trying to weigh what I did when I was in college (this is true) and I'm not the same person I was then. I've had a kid and I'm a mother. I'm a much stronger person than I was then both mentally and physically and I can't focus and expect to be the same person and body. He also said with me still not getting a full nights sleep (Colin has regressed on his good sleeping) that is most certainly affecting me and my metabolism. 

While he isn't a doctor or fitness expert he sure made me feel better about life. I sure would love to be in the 120s but I honestly am not sure I will ever get there again and I need to learn to be ok with that. I am not 19 anymore. 
(Maybe when I'm able to sleep like I did when I was in college! Oooh to have sleep and a flat tummy again one can dream!)

It's so nice to have someone talk sense into you when you are feeling down and my brother in law always seems to be able to do that! Love him!

No comments: