Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Finding myself and being happy

I read a quote the other day about things you need to do to be happy. I know it sounds silly... why do we need to be told what we need to be happy. But it is true. We struggle being happy because of silly little things that we cannot let go.  As I began reading the quote I assumed I would be able to say I did everything on the list... but then I got to one and I stopped.  It said, Stop comparing yourself to others.  How many of us do this?? I think especially women have a hard time with this. So I set out to work on it.

Whenever I catch myself comparing I can now acknowledge it and dissuade it. I do it often so at first it was a challenge. I see someone and I think Oh look at her outfit or look how skinny she is... and I want to be that and I get envious or even down on myself because I don't look like that person. Now I try to channel that differently and just say, Oh she is really pretty and has an awesome body or outfit and end story. There is no need to compare myself with her, because I am not her. I am me.

If I can be happy with who I am and what I am doing with me, then there is no need to compare with anyone else. It will just make me unhappy. It is a daily battle, I must admit, but I feel like I'm making progress. In  fact, this is a sad but true story... I would see myself without my hair done and without makeup and just think, yuck! The other day I was getting my hair cut and the lady had my hair all pulled back in a towel and I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, I'm pretty. Where usually I would tear myself apart somehow. We are so mean to ourselves sometimes and I wish we would learn to love ourselves. Nobody is the same, we are all unique and beautiful in our own way.

I feel more confident now than I probably ever have in my life. I am comfortable in my skin. It may have taken 28 years, but I am. I am me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So challenge yourself to be happy. Find something that you know is holding you back and try to work on changing it so you can be happy inside and out. Life is too short for any other way.

I've been scouring the internet to find that quote, but I can't find it... here is a close second. And when I read it, the next thing I need to work on is Forgiveness. I am a grudge holder and have a lot of people that I haven't forgiven for some reason or another. It is hard for me to forgive... but I will work on it! ;)

No comments: