Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Nightweaning

Well I took the plunge again and decided to do night weaning over the long weekend. Colin hasn't had any milk at night since Thursday night.  He took it really well, maybe cause he is older and understands more. When he wakes up I tell him the milks are sleeping and he can drink milks when it is light out. He still wakes and asks for it, but doesn't cry and tries to fall back asleep. 

The first few nights were rough for me. Mostly because I was getting less sleep. He was sleeping about 4 or 5 hours in his crib. He'd wake and I'd nurse him and put him back in his crib for another few hours. I was getting decent sleep in my bed. Now when he wakes up after 4 hours I can't get him to just go back down in his crib, so I bring him to bed and he tosses and turns cause he has a hard time just falling asleep. I was tired. 

But the past two nights have been better and last night he actually slept about 7 hours in his crib! Glorious! :) 

Hoping without milk as an enticer he will stop waking all together, fingers crossed!!!

1 comment:

Marcie Chavez said...

Glad you are trying it again! I swear he will quit waking up once he realizes he isn't getting to nurse. It's good for his teeth that you aren't night nursing either. I know some may disagree with me on this, but breast milk, formula, or juice are really bad for kids to have during the night once they are over a year old. It can pool in their mouth, sit on their teeth and rot them out. In fact, My friend Andrea's daughter Madison just had four front teeth and some molars capped silver and we suspect it was due to her night nursing her for two years :-( anyhow, best of luck! You'll be wishing you did it sooner!