Wednesday, January 9, 2013

An Extended Breastfeeder...

Well, I guess I am officially an extended breast feeder.  Honestly I never thought I'd be here in this "category".   Heck, my initial breastfeeding goal was only 3 months... I said 6, but in reality I would have been happy if I made it 3 months. Now I'm still nursing my 14 month old.

I am having a rough time with this new category. I feel like there isn't much support for those who choose to breastfeed longer than a year.  Over the holidays it was suggested by both sides of the family that I should stop nursing and I know my husband is starting to think we've gone on with this too long as well.  Maybe I'm weird, but I don't feel like I'm ready to quit... and Colin sure as heck isn't ready either.  He has cut back since we introduced whole milk, but he still nurses quite a bit, especially if he is teething. It is a comfort thing, I know.  I'd like weaning to be a nice slow gradual process... not like a sudden, oh yeah, those milks you like... they are gone forever... sorry kid. Kinda process.

It is weird... I feel like nursing is all we know and I'm afraid to give that up. How will I get him to fall back to sleep so easily at night when he wakes up... OR will he wake up less because he isn't nursing and knows he won't have those comforts anymore?  I just don't know.

I do know that I still feel comfortable nursing him and love our bonding time and closeness that we get to share and I just don't quite feel ready to give that up, especially with a big move coming up.

Once we move I am going to try to cut back on night time nursing and work on getting this kid to sleep a bit better. I don't mind getting up and nursing him once... maybe even twice a night... but anything more than that needs to stop.... so I can regain some sanity.

I just wish people would be more supportive about nursing and nursing past one.  And I wish people would support me as I continue on. I don't know how long we will go. It would be nice to get my body back, but for now this is what I'm doing and anyone who doesn't like it, will just have to deal with it. :) Lol  I am an extended breast feeder and proud of it!  Just don't say anything about it to piss me off! Lol

Sorry for the randomness of this blog... my mind is a mess today! :)

No comments: