Sunday, October 21, 2012

Coaching again??

Oh Decisions, decisions.

Thursday night I had a phone call from a parent of a kid I used to coach in youth soccer. Their daughter is now playing on the high school soccer team here and apparently their coach quit last week.... and he thinks I'd be a good replacement.

One good thing is it isn't immediate and their season ends next week... what he was looking for is mostly for the next season, next fall.

My gut response was no. I think I even told him, what would I do with my kid! Lol To which he responded, We've already thought of that and the parents will watch him! Lol I've coached some of these kids for about 6 soccer seasons (if not more... i can't remember) and coached with several of the parents as well, so I know a lot of them really well. Well enough to trust with my kid at least! Anyway, I told him I'd think about it and see them at the next home game.

Well 24 hours later and boy if that wasn't one of the only things on my mind that day. I even had some crazy soccer dreams about wanting to play so badly, but never being able to make practice and forgetting my cleats and stupid things like that.

I would love to be a high school soccer coach, but I don't know if I have enough experience coaching to do so. The thought of coaching high school is a bit intimidating. And come on, high school girls... they can be pretty mean... I remember!

Friday I did some research at work... like the legalities of working two jobs, one outside of the federal government and having to take leave from the gov't to get paid to coach... It turns out, it isn't a big deal at all. I talked to our HR lady and I have to fill out a form and get my supervisor's approval and make sure it didn't conflict with schedules, but it should be fine.

I was a little shocked at my husband's response. I kind of half expected him to say, No Way! And he actually responded, that's pretty neat, I think you'd like it!  Which makes it easier to think about, knowing he will be supportive.

The reality of it is it is only from August to October... a good 3 months... which isn't terrible. My biggest worry is away games and trying to figure out what to do with Colin. My husband's schedule isn't exactly scheduled, so relying on him would be pretty difficult... but I have quite a few months to figure it out!

I am going to their last home game on Tuesday and I imagine  that will be a hot topic among the parents I sit with.

I went to lunch with one of my friends on Friday and discussed it with her. I wasn't asking for advice, just telling her what I was thinking. Her response to my thoughts were, I think you should do it, I can see by your face how excited you are just by talking about it!  Lol

We'll see and even if I do apply for it, that doesn't mean I will get it.

No comments: