Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Night 1 of CIO

Well I can happily say it wasn't a complete fail. I can honestly say, I was scared. Very scared.

We started off the night off like normal, put him down in his crib. He woke up 2 hours later, like normal, but instead of bringing him to our bed I had Ryan go in and pat him and lay him back down. It didn't go well. We waited several minutes, then I went in and vice versa. He was WIDE awake. I swear this kid... it is like if you let him cry for more than 2 minutes he just wakes up more.  I even rocked him once and nursed him (I know.. I know... I shouldn't have) But it didn't help. He stayed awake after that first wake up for 3.5 hours! But he wasn't screaming the whole time... thankfully. In fact he went long stretches where he was quiet. I would go peek at him and he was sitting up playing!!!  He eventually fell asleep and then woke up again in 2 hours. When he was crying during that 3 hour stretch, it took pretty much every fiber in my being to not get him and bring him to bed with me. So hard for me to break my habits too. I just wanted to cuddle him and go to sleep. But I know in the end this is whats best.

The second time he woke up I fed him, mostly cause I was full. I know the doctor said to cut out feedings, but I figured instead of going cold turkey, maybe I would just do a couple feedings. We did 2 last night... which is better than like 5 or 6 which we were doing!!  But as soon as I fed him he fell back asleep and I put him back in the crib.  Again he woke up in 2 hours. I laid him down and rubbed his tummy and he fell back asleep... until 8:30! Latest he's ever slept in! 

So even though he was up for three and a half hours, I still got some sleep cause he ended up doing like four 2 hour stretches.

I think it was a good first night, although I'm going to need LOTS of caffeine for the rest of the week because tomorrow is my Monday!  Blah!  Wish us luck!!!

1 comment:

Christene @ MommaBird said...

My heart goes out to you and I know how hard it is when you aren't getting enough sleep. Especially after 9 months!

For me, by this time my supply was not that great and I was barely producing much milk anymore with pumping at work and giving him bottles during daycare hours. Around 10 months my supply had dried up and I mixed BM and formula together to make a full bottle before bed, and I saw a big change. And he was always a lazy nurser at night, it was more for comfort to fall asleep and then he'd wake up hungry 2 hours later.

I was torn just like you on whether or not to just go in and nurse. So when I gave him 6-8oz bottle before bed, I knew he wasn't hungry. And surely, a few weeks later he started to sleep for longer stretches.