Sunday, March 25, 2012

Eric, my kitty.

Eric Cartman, my kitty cat was my baby before Colin. I got him in college, when Ryan's family's cat had kittens and Ryan's dad convinced me to take one "for the weekend".... I've had him ever since! Lol

I was NEVER a cat person before that.. in fact I am HIGHLY allergic to cats. I shave Eric and give him baths and take allergy meds every do so I could have him with me. While I had him in college I lived in a one bedroom apartment by myself. It was just the two of us and we became very close. He followed me everywhere, fell asleep on my books while I studied and slept right next to me in my bed. I even toilet trained him... it only lasted a couple months and then we went back to the litter box. Even as he grew BIG and we moved around, he was always my baby. I carried him around like a toddler and he still slept next to me... until Colin came around. Now Eric is PISSED.

He pees on everything... especially the baby's stuff. The play yard and baby chairs and he's been peeing in our formal room almost everyday on the carpet... YUCK! We've been cleaning up after him every single day and Ryan finally got fed up with it. Yesterday while I was at work he kicked him outside and decided he would be an outdoor cat.

I feel terrible because Eric was my first baby. I've tried giving him extra attention and showing him that the baby can pet him too. Colin actually LOVES the kitty and has really started petting him the past couple weeks and he smiles and smiles while he does. I thought maybe the cat would see that the baby is just an extra set of hands to give him attention... but no, I'm pretty sure he still resents the baby for taking his place.

I don't know how Eric will survive outside considering he is very overweight and is declawed. We've been letting him out a  little bit each day for the past couple weeks and he just stays right around our house. I leave the garage door open enough for him to come in there for shelter and he seems to have made a friend with a yellow cat who keeps hanging out with him in the garage and the other when Eric was inside the yellow cat was talking to him through the window... Lol. He has ALWAYS wanted to be outside, but it seems like now that he is he wants to come back inside. We'll see how he does.... I hope he adjusts well!

1 comment:

Abby Reed said...

Could you adopt him to a new family who can let him stay indoors? I know it would be really hard - but it's scary for a declawed kitty to be outdoors, too. Maybe he needs a familia who doesn't have a cute ass baby?? Sounds like he is a little jealous.... I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this :-( I couldn't imagine... I am worried about my doggies now and how they will adjust to the new baby.