Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chamber Banquet

Last night we went to the Chamber of Commerce banquet... and let me just brag for a second that my kid was the star of the show! Lol Ok... well maybe not completely... but EVERYONE loved him.

We got invited to attend through Ryan's work because they were getting an award. I was nervous about bringing a baby... but really where else would we leave him... we don't exactly have very many people who'd babysit for us and we've yet to leave him with someone, so we took him along. Of course he was the ONLY kid there. Which I kind of hate, because I feel out of place like we shouldn't have brought him.

He actually slept most of the day before we left, I thought he was going through a growth spurt, but he was WIDE awake during the entire banquet. Probably because it was loud and there was a lot to look at.  He hated when they clapped, I thought he was going to cry every time! Poor kid. There were a lot of people there that I knew so he got handed  around a couple of times and got lots of love. I swear every stranger that passed by doted on him and how good he was... heck, even Ryan's boss wanted to hold him! The president of the chamber even came over to say hello to the youngest guest of the evening.

He was actually very good for the first couple hours, but the darn thing was looong. And lasted well beyond his bedtime (and mine!) By the end he was getting tired and fussy, but he made it through, with Mom and Dad taking turns walking around with him in the back for the last hour. Nobody even heard him cry and everyone complimented how well behaved he was. I had a stranger tell me I was brave to take a 2 month old out, but that she was glad I did because he was super cute! :)

 I wish we would have taken pictures because we all dressed up nicely. I even wore my new super cute high heels... I was trying to break them in before I wear them for the baptism next week... and I'm pretty sure I did. I did a few pictures of Colin and I before we left because I had him try out his bumbo for the first time :


I do have to note that I am shocked by the lack of changing tables in public restrooms. I kind of thought they were standard, until I had a kid and now I realize that it really is shocking how many places don't have them. I think all women's restrooms should be required to have 1.) A changing table and 2.)  A comfy chair for moms to breastfeed.   (They should also have a heater... but that's another story.) 

Last night because we were there for almost 5 hours I had to feed Colin several times. Before the speeches and such started I fed him at the table with my udder cover.... I'm sure making Ryan's coworkers very uncomfortable, but I don't care. When the speeches and stuff started I took him out to feed him because he was also getting fussy and tired and I didn't want his loud eating or fussiness to interrupt anything. But where do I go to feed? I could've gone to the truck, but we parked a mile away and it was super cold... plus my kid will sometimes only eat on my left side while I'm standing up.. and you can't stand up in a truck... I ended up sitting on a toilet in a bathroom stall.... a very cold non heated bathroom stall (not to mention it snowed last night...).  Ugh. I hate feeding in a bathroom stall. My kid makes lots of noises and people probably wonder what the hell is happening in that stall! Lol.  So mark my words, If I ever build a place or run a place that has bathrooms I will make sure there is a changing station AND a place for moms to sit down to breast feed if they need to.

Any who, I was totally scared that messing up his bedtime was going to screw up sleeping last night. But he surprisingly went to bed fairly easy and slept VERY good... some of the best sleep I've gotten in awhile.  4 hours for the first stretch, 3 1/2 hours for the second stretch and then 3 hours for the next stretch... umm... that's like 10 hours of sleep in big old chunks!  Yes! I think he was just waay exhausted from the banquet!

Ok, that is all from my long blog... if you made it this far, kudos!

1 comment:

Marcie Chavez said...

Cute pic! You are lucky Colin's pretty easy to take places...my babies seem to get over stimulated easy so its hard to take them anywhere! Natalie is already preferring to lay in our bed come 8:30/9 and doesn't want to fall asleep elsewhere at that time...