Saturday, December 10, 2011

Work

I went to work for a couple hours last week. It was interesting. I picked a day where I knew nobody would be in the office. I had planned to keep Colin awake all morning, feed him really good, and he would sleep while I worked away at the office and since nobody would be there I could get a TON of work done. No such luck. It was a good plan, right?

When I left the house he was WIDE awake. As usual the car puts him to sleep, so I pulled into the office and saw he was sound asleep... Yes! I got into the office, plopped him down in my cubicle and pulled the blanket back to peek on him and he is WIDE awake again... NO!! Lol.   I spent the next hour trying to do all of my work as fast as I could while holding onto a baby who did NOT want to be in his car seat and had decided he was  hungry.  I was feeding him a bottle of pumped milk while trying to fill out paperwork and write reimbursement checks. It was hectic and chaotic.

I did like 2 hours worth of work in one hour.... hopefully I didn't mess anything up! Lol 

It made me nervous about returning to work WITH Colin. I know when I come back he will be 2 months older and hopefully have a little bit more of a schedule (ha!) by then.  ALSO, when I go back to work, he will not be coming with me to the office, just to the visitor center, which will be better because I won't have like paperwork and office work to do at the visitor center, for the most part it is just dealing with visitors.  I do worry because right now he likes to be held a lot... my rules at the visitor center are pretty much just that he can't be out front when visitors are there and he has to stay in the back. I hope by the time he is 3 months he is content being by himself for a couple minutes in the back in the play yard or something. 

Sigh... I guess I just worry about balancing the two. I've always tried to kind of separate family and work and it seems so weird to know that the two are going to be crammed together. I imagine I will figure it out, I just need to get it through my head that it is ok to combine the two and nobody will think any less of me as a professional if I have to take a break to breast feed, change a diaper or hold my baby.

No comments: