Friday, December 16, 2011

Colin's 1 month apt.

Yesterday was a big day for us, it was Colin's 1 month check up.

I was a little shocked when we got there because they put us in a different room and rolled in a surgical cart. The nurse said, the doctor wanted to see us in that room because she wanted to cut Colin's tongue tie... even though the doctor had yet to see it!! Apparently my visit with the doctor on Tuesday made quite an impact with her. She said since she talked with me at my apt. on Tuesday she believes that his tongue tie is indeed whats been causing me all of my problems breastfeeding and wanted to clip it... can you say music to me ears!!! How fabulous to have a doctor who listens to you and your concerns. She claims that she actually felt so bad for not being there when I was having such a hard time that she is going to make it a new practice to have her nurses call her patients 2 weeks after they have the baby to check on them, instead of waiting for the 6 week check up.

  When she came in poor Colin was all smiles at her.. poor kid had no idea! She did his wellness check up first before the clipping. She said he looked really good. He was 9.95 lbs and 23 inches long.  He is in the 12th percentile for weight, but she thinks a lot of that has to do with his tongue and he is 96th percentile in height... safe to say i have a long kid! Also his head grew almost 2 inches in circumference!

Then was the dreaded clipping. She had Ryan and I wait in the lobby while her and the nurses did it. How horrible to be waiting in the lobby hearing your child scream and not be able to do anything about it! The actual clipping isn't a big deal, the membrane is very thin and it hardly bled. I think he was screaming more because they were holding him down and pulling his mouth open... plus he was really hungry. He didn't stop crying until we got back there and I immediately grabbed him from the nurse... then he was fine. Poor little dude.

 When we got home I immediately fed him and as soon as he latched on... even through the shield, I was like, wow, that feels so much better already!! Maybe it was my emotions from hearing him cry at the doctors, but I totally cried and wanted to call her, thank her and give her a hug, the second I had him eating because it felt soo much better already.  She said he would have to kind of relearn how to use his tongue. He was the fussiest he has ever been last night and I'm assuming it was because he was probably in a little bit of pain. He kept moving his tongue around, sticking it out and drooling.  This morning he seems to not be in pain anymore, so that is good.

Now the goal is to wean myself and him from the nipple shield and be able to breast feed NORMALLY.   I am so glad this is behind us.

1 comment:

Abby Reed said...

Yippeeeeeee! So excited for you!!! So, really, for the first 6 weeks you aren't supposed to exercise at all?? That will be a problem for this girl... I have to be on air 6 weeks after the baby is born, lol.