Thursday, January 3, 2013

To Work or Not to Work... THAT is the question

Since we decided we were moving I've been having a major debate with myself. Should I stay home with Colin or should I work?  I literally go back and forth on a daily basis. Why is this decision so hard?

At first I was all set to quit my job and never look back. I was envisioning a lovely life as a stay at home mom lounging around the house in pjs on our days home and  museum hopping on our days out. Sleeping in and taking afternoon naps together... oh the thought was so glorious!

THEN I got a phone call from the manager of my company in Farmington, basically saying he heard I was moving there and wanted me to work for him. He even talked about a position that would give me a raise. How do you say no to that?  Plus I am a government employee and have been working with this company for almost 10 years. Hard to throw that away too.

I hate the idea of dropping Colin off with strangers. We've been so spoiled here with a wonderful lady who watches him and I know that they both love and care about each other very much and I don't ever worry about him when I drop him off. I see him laugh with her and hug her and I know he has a great time while I am at work.  Until I find THAT I don't think I will be happy about the idea of working.

I WISH I could work part time. Although it isn't looking like that will be an option for me there, which stinks. I feel like part time is my happy medium so I can both be a mommy and stay with my career. So I then feel like I have to choose between working and staying home.  I don't need to work, but I like to work. 

My other option is leaving the government and finding a part time job doing something else, but still working and just being part time.

I've decided to wait to make a full on decision until we move and get settled and I investigate some of the day cares and such there.

Although I hate waiting and I hate that this is so hard. I wish there was an easy solution. But nothing in life is easy.  I just hope I don't have any regrets with whatever I do decide.

No comments: