Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dairy Free?

Well, I am considering going dairy free to see if it will help Colin's sleep. Ok, I am more than considering it, I am really going to go for it and give it a shot.

Not going to lie, the idea terrifies me. Not because I love milk... because I love CHEESE and Ice cream and chocolate! lol I cook with cheese a great deal and use it on EVERYTHING. Especially since I cut down on my sodium intake I use cheese to flavor my food instead of sauce. And I'm Italian and live in New Mexico.... Italians love cheese and New Mexican food = green chili and cheese!

Why might you ask that I am just now doing this?

 *Well, I had another sleepless momma on my birth club brought it up. She tried it and a week in her son is sleeping 5 hour stretches for the first time in months... that alone was enough to tempt me. But then she said she was reading about it and a milk allergy can cause cradle cap and baby acne. Colin had both when he was born, but the acne went away... he still has a bit of cradle cap though.

* So then I brought it up to someone else who mentioned milk allergy can also cause eczema... Colin had eczema very bad for awhile and now it isn't very noticeable, but still flairs up every now and again.

*Then I did some research of my own... sleeplessness, restlessness... all signs of a milk allergy... who does that sound like, Colin. Even naps are very restless for him.

*Then I started thinking about something else I remembered about Baby-led-weaning. I had read and heard people say that babies won't feed themselves foods they know will make themselves sick or give them a tummy ache. I started giving Colin cut up pieces of cheese the past month or so and he won't touch them. I put a bunch of food on his tray and the cheese will just stay there. ALSO, I just bought him baby yogurt and he hates it. He immediately spits it out. I even tried to trick him and put it in some oatmeal and applesauce the other morning and he didn't fall for it and immediately spit it out.

Soo... all those things, eczema, hives (which he was having for awhile), cradle cap, sleeplessnes, restlessness and avoidance of dairy.... are all reasons why I think maybe we should at least give it a shot.

Until them I am endulging... ice cream last night, chocolate milk today, pizza for dinner, cheese on my pasta last night. Yup... trying to get it out of my system! Lol

Wish me luck! Heck, I'm willing to give it a shot if it means we might.... *might* get some more sleep!

No comments: