Monday, September 17, 2012

Being Dairy Free

Well I just finished day three of being dairy free and today is day 4. I have to say it is not as bad as I expected it to be.

My first day I was stressing out about what to eat. It seemed like EVERYTHING had dairy in it.... and a lot of stuff does. I got some good advice from my step mother in law who said, You have to focus on what you CAN eat, not what you CANT.  And that is what I've been rolling with! 

I went to the store and bought a bunch of veggies, fruit and dairy free snacks to hold me over. Milk was surprisingly easy to give up for me, but cheese is the hard thing for me.

When I went to the store I bought rice milk and almond milk. Rice milk in my cereal actually tastes like milk to me and Almond milk.... well, that my friends is just DELISH! I don't know if I will ever go back to regular milk after tasting dark chocolate almond milk... Mmmmm... AND almond milk has MORE calcium than regular milk... score!

I am planning lots of meat and veggie meals this week and I packed fruit and veggies as snacks for work. Plus I was pleasantly surprised that all the chips I eat were dairy free! :)

But we had some setbacks with Colin's dairy intake. Ryan wanted to take him for the whole day on Saturday to the big city for a boys day and I didn't have enough pumped milk so I had to dip into my freezer stash, which isn't dairy free. He only ended up giving him an ounce or so from the freezer stash milk, because he brought him by for me to feed him twice... which mean I didn't pump enough milk at work Saturday for my next day of work on Wednesday... so Wednesday I may have to give him more freezer stash/dairy milk.  :( Hopefully his metabolism is faster than ours and it will get out of his system quicker than it does ours... but I don't think we will see any response to him being dairy free until late this week if not next week.

That being said he has had some decent stretches of sleep in his crib. By decent I mean 3- about 5 hours. Last night it was 3 hours and 44 minutes. Which is much more wonderful than every 2 hours or less! He is cutting another tooth and has had swollen gums all week and I notice the second part of the night he is very restless still,... hoping it is the tooth.

I'd also like to add I've eat out all 3 days. (We don't eat out a lot, but after church on Sunday and as a reward for cooking all week we go out on Saturday nights... Friday I went to lunch with some friends) I only really eat at 2 restaurants here in town and I was VERY careful about what I ordered. I became one of THOSE people who ask the server about what things are cooked in and if it had butter or milk in it.  I was able to eat scrambled eggs (cooked without butter or milk, just plain old eggs) with green chili on top and bacon or ham or a pork chop... and no hash browns, they cooked those in butter, with a side of fresh fruit at this restaurant that serves breakfast ALL day!  And I had a grilled salmon fillet with green beans and sweet potato fries for dinner out!  It can be done!

1 comment:

Marcie Chavez said...

I don't mind being dairy free! Also just do u know, butter has the least amount of cows milk protein than most dairy foods so eating a little probably won't be a big deal. The worst things are ice cream, milk, cream, yogurts.