Sunday, April 29, 2012

Reality Check

Well I guess this weekend was a reality check on my health.  I NEED to work out on a regular basis.

I  got my blood pressure taken for the first time since the Dr. took it and recommended I try the DASH diet to lower it about 2 months ago. I *thought* I was doing pretty good. I force myself to eat oatmeal every morning. I have really cut out red meat and eat mostly chicken, fish and occasionally buffalo (which I love and figure of all the red meat I could eat that is probably the best ) and I also cut my sodium down  A LOT. I love salt, but I totally don't use salt anymore on my food at all. I know there are still lots of foods that have a ton of salt, but I am trying to avoid them. Sugar... is my weakness. I LOVE sugar! Ha! So with all of that and the fact that I've been feeling ok... besides sleep deprived. I went and willingly got my blood pressure tested thinking it would be good. Lets just say it was an epic fail. 147/92  Ugh :(

The only part of the DASH diet that I am not doing (besides cutting out sugar) is exercising. I can give you a million excuses about why I don't exercise (Although I do think some are valid like how Ryan  does not get home in time for me to do anything or me not getting any sleep and being too exhausted.. ) BUT I really need to get my butt in gear so I don't end up on blood pressure meds...

Plus I saw some pictures of me this weekend that were not very flattering. Lol  For the past 6 months I have been taking pictures of Colin and am rarely in front of the camera. I felt like I have been doing pretty good at loosing weight, I am a pound below my pre-pregnancy weight and about 7lbs away from my goal weight. But really the numbers don't matter much when  I see a picture and think... AHHH I look huge! Lol  I do a million sit ups every morning and I try to walk about 3 times a week... but obviously that isn't cutting it and I need to step up my game.

I had a talk with Ryan about getting off of work a bit earlier so he can watch Colin so I can exercise. I really hate running and the gym, but I LOVE Zumba because you forget that you are exercising and it is a really good workout. I would love to go a couple days a week, but that requires Ryan getting off early. So I hope that works out. I also like having a friend to go with... but I don't know if I can convince anyone. Regardless I am going to try and so is Ryan and hopefully I can get back into the swing of things.  Wish me luck! I hope Zumba combined with walking several days a week and I started hiking a bit more at work will help me feel a bit better about myself and lower my blood pressure.  We will see...

1 comment:

Abby Reed said...

Does Ryan wake up with Colin at night? If not, maybe you guys could take turns, so you can get more sleep, and then be able to exercise during the day? Just a thought! :-)