Monday, September 26, 2011

Family dynamics

I often wonder how our animals will handle a newborn baby...

For years our animals have been our babies. I got our cat, Eric Cartman when I was in college. I lived alone in my apartment and he was my little buddy. Over the years he has had a lot of transitions, some of which he handled well, others not so much. I've moved him.... 4 times. Some of which he took well... others not so much. I moved into a place with Ryan, which he wasn't so happy about and peed on the only piece of furniture that Ryan brought with him... a couch.  Then we got a puppy... which he actually transitioned to quite well... mostly because he could beat her up because he was much bigger than her (for awhile... now she has a good  20-30 pounds on him... but she is still afraid of him!). When we moved to our current house, the cat was in heaven... until we got our 2nd dog. That dog didn't like the cat and would try to kill him any chance he had. The poor cat has had litter box issues ever since. This is the dog we recently gave away and the cat is still having some litter box issues... but he is also still scared and always looks around for the dog before he goes to the litter box. So I'm hoping it will pass.  BUT I do wonder how he will handle not being my baby anymore. He is a giant momma's cat(boy) and loves to snuggle with me and follow me around. It should be really interesting to see how he reacts to sharing my time with a real baby. I hope he doesn't pee on the baby or try to smack him. But I am thinking he will be scared of the baby, but you never know.

Our dog I'm not so much worried about. She is a very sweet girl and loves EVERYONE... even her cat brother. But I am curious as to how she will react and what she will do. I am betting it will be lots of smelling and licks... but I could be wrong.

It shall be very interesting to see how everyone adjusts and I just hope that they all get along!

No comments: