Friday, September 16, 2011

Birthing class #1

Well, we've been debating on attending a birthing class for months. When we finally decided to look into it, I didn't think it would work out with our schedules, especially Ryan's work schedule.  Luckily I called the lady who is teaching the class and she was very flexible. We can only make 2 of the 4 classes and she is going to give us all the materials she hands out  during the classes that we miss so we will be all caught up.

The class wasn't exactly what I expected... more of a lecture class. I guess I watched too many tv shows or movies where they have people like sitting on the ground with their partners and stuff. Definitely not this class! The information she gave us was very informative and answered a lot of the questions that we had, like when do you go to the hospital, when do they contact your doctor... and some other basic stuff.  Interesting enough she said it typically takes first time moms 12 - 24 hours to have a baby. That is a long damn time! Which makes me want to stay home while I'm in labor for as long as I possibly can. I don't want to spend 24 hours in the hospital in labor when I could be in the comfort of my own home.

I asked her when was too late to get an epidural and she said technically it is never too late to get one. I don't know how I always hear stories about people being too dilated for an epidural, but maybe each hospital is different? But she said it is never too late. So I guess that is cool.  She taught us some breathing techniques and gave us some handouts for different positions you can use while you are in active labor.

I am excited that I got some handouts to read about breastfeeding. My Dr. never gave me any and that is probably my biggest worry.

The best part about the class was the fact that the teacher/nurse lady was from New York. You could tell she hadn't lived there in awhile, but she still had an accent, just like my family does. After the class I asked her where in NY she was from and we had a big ole conversation about where my family was from and how they got to NM.

Anyway this is long and I'm sure most people have stopped reading by now....

No comments: