Tuesday, July 23, 2013

When to have another baby

I've been asked like a million times over the past few weeks when we are having our next kid. I guess as soon as your kid is walking and talking people assume you need another. Now I'm not going to lie there have been quite a few instances lately where I've thought about another. Anytime i see a newborn baby my heart flutters. Colin is still my baby but he is soo big compared to a newborn and sometimes... Just sometimes I miss it. But then reality will hit and my crazy child will throw a tantrum and I'll be like... Nah, I'm good!!

Ryan is convinced that the perfect age gap is 4 years. That is what he and his brother are and they get along marvelously. Plus, that is all he knows... Well , that and his 13 year gap with his sisters. But ain't no way I'm waiting 13 years! As for me... I don't have siblings, so what do I know?!

I must admit I am a bit intimidated by the terrible twos. Colin has already started acting up a bit more and adding a baby to that scares me! I had initially thought maybe after he turned two we could try again. Last time it took 8 months of trying so if it is anything like that Colin very well might be 4 by the time he has a sibling! Lol But what if it happens right away and I'm too sick and pregnant to chase a wild crazy 2 year old around!! I think I will wait a bit, maybe try a little closer til 3 and just see how it goes.

But there are also other things to consider. Right now we still have 2 mortgages and only one income, so it is definitely not an ideal situation for another child. Another issue is Ryan's job. His mine is being sold in 3 years and the future of it is still up in the air. I'd hate to have 2 children, 2 mortgages and no jobs. Of course that is worst case scenario, but it is something to consider. I'd like to make sure our financial future is ok before I considered another.

So for now we will wait and enjoy our only child. But some day we would like him to be a brother and do all those cool sibling things that I never got to do!! I'm also really excited to have a baby again because I feel like with Colin I had no clue what I was doing. I didn't know how to breastfeed, how to hold him, change a diaper or swaddle. I was always second guessing myself and thinking I was doing everything wrong. Yet, here I am with a happy healthy 20 month old, so I obviously did something right! I'm excited for a second child so I can feel confident in my parenting from the very beginning and feel like I know what I'm doing!

No comments: