Saturday, November 17, 2012

RIP Uncle Freddie

This morning I woke up to some sad news. My beloved Great-Uncle passed away early this morning. He was my Nana's brother.  Earlier this week he had his second heart attack in a year. Last year he had one right after Christmas and was sent home with a grim diagnosis of less than 6 months to live. We went to visit him in June and he looked great. He was in excellent spirits and  you couldn't even tell he had been sick. I feel so very blessed that we were able to visit him while he was healthy and that he got to meet Colin.

I initially wasn't intending on going to the funeral. After traveling to Cali last month, I really didn't want to to travel with Colin ever again  for a really long time! BUT I talked to my mom this morning and she really wanted to go to the funeral, but didn't want to go alone.... so we booked our tickets this afternoon. We are going back to SC. The sucky part is we are flying on Thanksgiving, but it was really the only choice we had so we could make all the arrangements. 

I have no idea how chaotic it will be to travel with Colin again, but I do know that once we get there he will have a TON of family to keep him occupied! I am excited to see some of my family from that side that I haven't seen in awhile and for them to meet Colin, but it sucks it is under these circumstances.

We will really miss my great uncle. He was such a neat person. He had a great life and has 4 beautiful daughters and loads of grand kids. His relationship with his wife is one that I strive for with my own marriage. They were each others best friends and just celebrated 50 years of marriage last year. I really admire both of them and they were so sweet together. I know my Great-Aunt is probably heart broken right now and my heart hurts for her.


From our trip to SC this summer... look how teeny Colin is and how happy my Great Uncle was!!


At my grandma's funeral... I look like I'd been crying for an eternity... I had been!

And an Oldie! I am on my great uncle's lap!! :) 3 of his 4 daughters are next to us with my cousins and my dad is next to us on the other side with my Great Aunt and my Uncle pete above!





No comments: